Below are the Answers to the Part 3 Quiz.
1. What is the reason for my 1:1 ratio limitation regarding grow
bed container capacity to fish tank capacity.
ANSWER: "With a one to one grow bed to fish tank volume
ratio, the water level in the fish tank won't go so low as to
stress the fish."
2. Why does the 1:1 ratio change to 1.3:1 when you're using
gravel media in your grow beds instead of Hydroton?
ANSWER: "Because gravel displaces more water than the
3. What's the preferred height of the fish tank from the
ANSWER: "24 inches"
4. Why are shorter fish tanks in this height range preferred?
ANSWER: "You don't have to use a step to work in the grow
beds or add a sump tank to catch the grow bed water."
5. What function does a water pump serve in relation to the
fish waste solids?
ANSWER: "It breaks them down the into smaller components,
increasing the surface area and allows for the heterotrophic
bacteria to do a faster job of mineralization".
6. How do you purge the lines to the grow beds?
ANSWER: "You fully open the individually grow bed control
valves for a short period of time."
7. Why do you need to purge the lines to the grow beds and
how often should you do this?
ANSWER: "The fish waste solids are heavier than water and
the slow flow up to the grow beds doesn't allow for all of
the solids to make it into them. This slow upward flow causes
accumulation of solids in the plumbing, which the purging
alleviates. You need to do this weekly."
8. ANSWER: The auto siphon uses gravity flow to return the
water from the grow beds to the fish tank or sump tank.
9. What's the name of the second type of siphon other than
the Bell Siphon?
ANSWER: "Loop Siphon"
10. What are the advantages of this other type of siphon?
ANSWER: "Loop Siphons have a better range of water flow,
they cycle more rapidly and they leave more grow bed
space for planting."
11. ANSWER: A water pump should be capable of turning
over the total gallons of water in the fish tank every 30
minutes at a minimum of 6 feet of head pressure.
12. ANSWER: In sizing your pump, you need to make sure you
have enough flow to fill all of your grow beds at least
4 times an hour.
13. ANSWER: Tilapia grow twice as fast when the DO is above
6 ppm than when it is below 3 ppm.
14. ANSWER: Thermal stability depends on only one element in
your AP System. False should be circled
If you're not happy with your results, just go back to Part 3, Re-read and Study it; and take the Quiz again. It's not about the grade you get on the test, it's about the enthusiasm and dedication you bring to being an AP farmer. Oliver
14 Correct Answers = A+
13 Correct Answers = A
12 Correct Answers = B+
11 Correct Answers = B
10 Correct Answers = C
Now, you can check your Answers and give yourself a Grade:
9 Correct Answers = D
8 Correct Answers = D-
7 or Less Correct Answers = F